United Kingdom

10th (Prince of Wales's Own) Hussars

Albumen print pasted on an Album page

Officers of the 10th Hussars at Jallalabad, Afghanistan, 1879

The 10th Hussars had left Portsmouth for India on January 10 1873 on board the troopship Jumna. Upon reaching Bombay they took their quarters in Muttra (Bengal). Their tour was marked by the ceremonies associated with the visit to India of their Colonel, the Prince of Wales, in 1875-76, whom they entertained in due form. In 1878 the 10th Hussars relieved the 4th Hussars in Rawul Pindee.

Tension was high between Great Britain and Russia following the treaty of San Stefano, and fears of a Russian immixion in Afghanistan prompted the Indian Government to insist on the reception at Cabul of a British mission. The stalling of the Amir and subsequent misunderstandings lead to an ultimatum being set for November 20th. Meanwhile military preparations were actively pursued. Three columns were to move simultaneously :
- One (under the command of General Sir Sam Browne, consisting of about 10,000 men, with thirty guns) through the Khyber Pass to Dakka, 
- Another through the Kuram valley, south of the Khyber, with the Peiwar Pass as its objective, 
- The last from Quetta into the Pisheen valley, to march forward to Candahar after reinforcement by a division from Mooltan.

Two squadrons of the 10th Hussars were assigned to the Khyber Field Force (under the command of Major Wood as Lieutenant-Colonel was on sick leave) - one Squadron being detached to the Kuram Field Force.

On November 21 1878, no answer having been received, Sir Sam Browne proceeded to the Khyber Pass and attacked the Ali Masjid position. After a day's fight the defenders retreated during the night. The advance of Sir Sam Browne's force continued unopposed and they reached Jallalabad by December 20.
On December 23, the officers of the 10th Hussars, in true Hussar fashion, contested their first steeplechase aound the city !

If you want to know more about the Afghan War, I'll refer you to Garen Ewing's excellent website.

The photograph

This photograph was taken by John Burke, one of his famous views of the Afghan War. John Burke accompanied the Khyber Field Force column  in an unofficial position, his application as Official Photographer having been rejected. He later sold his photographs in albums in Britain. They rate among the first photographs of the area.

The photo shows Sub-Lieutenant Harford, who perished in the dramatic crossing of the ford of the Kabul river, in the night of March 31st, 1879. The photo is thus anterior to that date.

The Officers of the 10th Hussars

Here is a short presentation of the officers depicted on the photograph. This is not gonna be perfect, as, to begin with, there are only 16 names under the photograph - and 17 officers are represented ! There is furthemore some misspelling of the names.

The missing name is most likely that of one of the officers located to the very right of Lieutenant-Colonel Kerr (the two standing officers above him, and the one sitting on the ground) ; the last five ones to the right of the photograph should match the five last names.


Lieutenant Ogilvy

David Stanley William Ogilvy was born on January 20 1856, the eldest son of the 5th Earl of Airlie and Henrietta (daughter of Lord Stanley). Educated at Eton then Balliol College (Oxford), he joined the army in June 1874. He joined the 10th Hussars from the Scots Fusiliers Guards on May 2 1876.
On September 25 1881,he will succeed to the titles of 6th Earl of Airlie, 12th Lord Ogilvy of Airly, and 6th Lord Ogilvy of Alith and Lintrathen.
In 1884 he will be with the Regiment when it will be diverted from  its way home to Egypt and Sudan, but will not board again the Jumna with the Regiment. He will take part in the Nile expedition  in 1884-85 (medal and 3 clasps, Khedive's Star, Medjidie 4th class, twice mentioned in Despatches, slightly wounded at Abu Klea and again at El Gubat).

He will marry Lady Mabel Gore (daughter of the Earl of Arran) on  January 19 1886 ; men and officers of the 10th Hussars attended that brilliant event, graced by the presence of the Prince of Wales, Colonel of the Regiment. He will serve with the Regiment until december 1897 when he will be gazetted Lieutenant-Colonel commanding the 12th Lancers. 
He will fight in the Boer War in 1900, mentioned in despatches for Gallantry at Modder River, and wounded near Blandfort. He will be killed in action on the June 11 1900 battle of Diamond Hill, after leading his regiment in a charge which saved the guns.
He was also honourary Colonel of the 3rd (Dundee Highland) Volunteer Battalion, Black Watch.

Sub-Lieutenant Bellew

The Hon. George Leopold Bellew was born on January 22 1857, the son of Sir Edward Bellew, 2nd Baron of Barmeath and Augusta Mary Bryan. He was gazetted a Sub-Lieutenant on December 8 1877. On October 13 1880 his name will be legally changed (by Royal Licence) to "George Leopold Bryan", as per the will of his uncle, George Leopold Bryan.

He will not be coming back to England with the Regiment on board the Jumna (reaching Portsmouth on April 21), being absent on leave. He will however duly attend the July 14 1884 Levée. He will take part in the Nile Expedition in 1884-85. He will be promoted to Captain on September 18, 1887, and later reach the rank of Major in the 10th Hussars in July 1896, and will retire (on retired pay) on February 15 1898. He'll hold the office of Deputy Lieutenant of County Kilkenny.

On February 2 1900, he will be recalled from the Reserve of Officers to be appointed Second in Command of the 5th Battalion of Imperial Yeomanry, with the temporary rank of Major in the Army, and will proceed to South Africa. He will come back to England  by late 1900, leaving Cape Town on board the Dunottar Castle on November 21, and reaching Southhampton on December 7. He will resign this appointment on January 8 1901. He will become High Sheriff of County Louth in 1902. He will become 4th Baron Bellew of Barmeath, co. Louth  and 10th Baronet Bellew, of Barmeth, co. Louth on July 15 1911. He will take part in WWI. In 1914 he will be elected a Representative Peer of Ireland.
He will marry Elaine Carlisle Leach on April 9, 1927 (aged 70 !). He will die on June 15 1935.

Lieutenant Napier

The Hon. James Pearse Napier was born on December 30 1849, third son of Robert George Napier, who was created in 1868 Baron Napier of Magdala. He was educated at Cheltenham College and Jesus College, Cambridge, where he gained a B.A.
James P. Napier
was gazetted Sub-Lieutenant in the 10th Hussars on October 18 1872. He left for India -where his father was then commander-in-chief- with the Regiment on board the Jumna, leaving Portsmouth on January 10, 1873. He was promoted to Lieutenant on October 30 1874.  On August 27, 1875, Ralph Broomfield Willington Fisher, from the 5th Dragoon Guards, was transferred to the 10th Hussars "in succession to Lieut. the Hon. J.P.Napier, a Probationer for the Indian Staff Corps". Lieutenant Napier resigned this appointment two years later, and was re-appointed to the 10th Hussars on July 10, 1877. 

Napier will be among the party of the 10th Hussars that will attempt to cross the Kabul River at the fords of Kaleh-i-Izack on the night of 31 March 1879. He will narrowly escape death by drowning, being swept off his horse and weighed down by his heavy boots, sword, revolver and ammunition. Struggling, he'll manage to get to the shallows but will have to be helped by Private Crowley (10th Hussars) to the safety of the shore. Napier will later present Crowley with a gold watch and chain. 

He will be promoted to Captain on November 12 1879, and will pass into the Staff College in 1884, obtaining his majority on April 15 the same year. After graduating from Camberley he will be appointed Brigade-Major at Shorncliffe in 1887. On August 23 1890, Major Napier will be posted to the North-Eastern District Command (Head Quarters York), as Deputy Assistant Adjutant General for Instruction. He will be promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel on July 27 1892, placed on Half Pay in 1897, and will reach the rank of Colonel in 1900, when he'll become Assistant Adjutant General , Southern Command, a post he'll hold until 1903. He will retire from the Army in February 1905. He will become 3rd Baron Napier of Magdala on December 11 1921, succeeding his eldest brother (his second brother dying in 1914). He will die on May 2 1935.

Sub-Lieutenant Allsopp

The Hon. Herbert Tongue Allsopp was born on December 5th 1855 at Foremark Hall (Derbyshire). He had been a noted cricket player for Cambridge University, Right Hand Bat and a Fast Bowler (First Class span in 1876).
He was commissioned as a Sub-Lieutenant on October 12 1877. He previously was a Lieutenant in the Worcester Militia.
During the Afghan War he commanded a detachment of the advance force in the capture of Ali Masjid. 

Second Lieutenant Allsopp will find passage home, along with Lieutenant Rose, on board the Indian Troopship Jumna, leaving Bombay on April 18, 1880, and reaching Portsmouth on May 15. Upon arriving he will be presented to his Colonel, the Prince of Wales, on the occasion of the Levée held at St. James's Palace on May 31 1880.
He will be promoted to Lieutenant on July 1 1881. He will serve in the Sudan Expedition of 1884, being present at the battles of El Teb and Tamai.

He will be promoted to Captain on August 16 1887. He will retire from the service on January 3 1890, receiving a gratuity.
He will join the board of the Lion Fire Insurance Company in December 1895. By that time he will be living in Walton Bury, Stafford. Herbert Tongue Allsopp will die on January 31 1900 at Barnwood, Gloucestershire.

Lieutenant Sandes, Adjutant

Charles Sandes was a Sergeant-Major at the Cavalry Depot when he was appointed Riding-Master of the 10th Hussars, on September 5 1873, vice David Walsh, deceased. On November 23, 1877, he was appointed Lieutenant vice E.Cunard, deceased (again !). He was appointed Adjutant of the Regiment on January 22, 1878, vice Cavendish (promoted - and not deceased this time).

He will sail back to England (along with Paymaster Murphy) on board the Serapis, reaching Portsmouth in May 1882. On January 23 1883, Charles Sandes will be promoted to Captain into the 6th Dragoons. He will be seconded on June 26, same year.
It seems that Charles Sandes will join the Army Pay Department in 1883. In 1886 he will sail back to India with that appointment. He will be granted the honorary rank of Major on February 26 1893 (by that time he will be back to Aldershott). On February 15 1898 Paymaster and Hon. Major Charles Sandes will be appointed Staff Paymaster. He will be replaced in that position on July 26 1901, but retained as Supernumerary to the establishment (under the provisions of Article 473, Royal Warrant , Oct.26, 1900 for those interested).
He will be placed on retired pay in October 1903, now a honorary Lieutenant-Colonel.


Captain St.Quintin

Thomas Astell St.Quintin was commissioned a Cornet on December 30 1859. He purchased his commission as a Lieutenant on January 16 1863. He married Hon. Mary Eleanor Frances Browne, daughter of John Cavendish Browne, 3rd Baron Kilmaine, on April 30 1868. He purchased his commisison as a Captain on August 17 1870. He left Portsmouth with the Regiment for India on January 10 1873, on board the troopship Jumna. In 1874 Thomas Astell St.Quintin is reputed to have introduced the game of polo to the western district of Victoria, Australia, through his brothers, John and Henry, who had settled there, buying a sheep station called Dwarroon, near Cudgee. The year is disputed, but the Warrnambool Standard of 22nd August, 1874 reported a game at Jetty Flat (the eight players including the three St Quintin brothers).

He will be awarded a Brevet of Major on November 22 1879. On March 10 1880, that promotion will have him presented to the Queen at the Levée at Buckingham Palace, by the Prince of Wales, Colonel commanding the 10th Hussars. He will be promoted to Major on July 26 1881. He will be seconded for service as remount agent at Calcutta on July 4 1882. He will be promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel on May 18 1886, and will exchange into the 2d Dragoon Guards same year on August 10. He will exchange again the following year, joining the 8th Hussars on July 20 1887, in command of the Regiment, then in India. He will be promoted to Colonel on March 31 1890 ; he will leave the command of the 8th Hussars on October 19 1892, and will be appointed Assistant Inspector of Remounts at London.
The Imperial Yeomanry will be formed by a Royal Warrant on December 24 1899, and the Imperial Yeomanry Committee will be created on January 4 1900  and charged of its administration. Colonel St. Quintin will be recalled from retired pay and nominated in that Committee as an Assistant Adjutant-General - in charge of remounts. 10.000 horses had to be delivered in a rush - not an mean feat. Colonel St.Quintin will go to South Africa from march to September 1900, but the real trouble will occur when the purchase of horses (esp. in Ireland and Austria-Hungary) will be investigated, the rush of the organizing having allowed middlemen to profit enormously from the contracts, selling inferior remounts for the price of good ones.
Thomas Astell St. Quintin will die on 03 Apr 1918 in Matlock, Derbyshire. 

Major Wood

Edward Alexander Wood was born in 1841. He was commissioned a Cornet on July  16 1858. He purchased the commissions of Lieutenant on September 30 1859, and of Captain on July 13 1867. He left for India with the Regiment on board the Jumna on January 10, 1873. The Times reported that "Madame Wood and child" were also on board.
On April 1 1875, Captain Wood was seconded Adjutant of the Cavalry Depot at Canterbury. He was transferred back from the Supernumerary List (and back to India) on May 31 1876, upon promotion to  Major.
In November 1878, Lieutenant-Colonel Kerr being on sick leave, Major Wood was in command of the two squadrons of the 10th Hussars present at the taking of Ali Masjid in the Khyber Pass (mentioned in despatches). He was still in command when Sir Browne's troops reached Jallalabad on December 20 1878.

Major Wood will be awarded a Brevet of Lieutenant-Colonel on November 22 1879. He will be promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel, and succeed Colonel Kerr at the head of the Regiment on June 28 1881. In 1884 he will command the Regiment when it will be diverted from  its way home to Egypt and Sudan, fighting at El Teb on February 24 and Tamaii on March 13. The 10th Hussars will board again the Jumna and leave Suakin on March 30 to reach Portsmouth on April 21. Colonel E.A. Wood  will be made a C.B. on May 22 1884, and will  introduce the officers of the 10th Hussars, "on return from active service", to the Prince of Wales (their Colonel in Chief), at the Levée held on July 15 1884 at St. James's Palace.
He will be a regular member of the Army Dress and Equipment Committee (issuing specs for Cavalry Swords in 1885...). He will be placed on half-pay in March 1886, and appointed Inspecting Officer of Auxiliary Cavalry on March 30 1886. He will again be at the head of the 10th Hussars at the July 1886 Royal Review at Aldershott, leading the Light Cavalry Brigade. On April 8 1890, he will be appointed to the command of the 7th (the Royal Fusiliers, City of London Regiment) and 57th (the Duke of Cambridge's Own Middlesex Regiment) Regimental Districts. He will complete this appointment in April 1893. He will become Major-General on August 28 1894, Commanding the Troops at Shorncliffe - where he will die on May 22 1898.

Sub-Lieutenant Harford

Second son of William H. Harford, esq., of Barley-wood and Lawrence-Weston,  Francis Hervey Harford was born in March 1858, and educated at Winchester and R.M.C. Sandhurst. Passing out from Sandhurst in 1877 in the first class, he was gazetted to the 16th Foot, then serving in Ireland, and  transferred to the 10th Hussars the same year (November 23). He sailed from England in the following month, leaving Portsmouth on board the Troopship Euphrates on December 30, and joined the Headquarters at Rawal Pindi. On the outbreak of the Afghan War, he went with the regiment into the Khyber Pass, and was present at the taking of Ali Musjid on November 21.

Forming one of the ill-fated squadron which was to accompany the force directed to join General Macpherson’s column in the second Lughman Valley expedition, he will be swept away with the rest of the squadron, during the night of the March 31, 1879, in the disastrous fording of the Kabul River at Kala-i-Sak, and will one of those found missing when the roll will be called after the accident. Sub-Lieutenant Harford, 46 N.C.Os. and men, and thirteen horses will be drowned in this disaster, which will be the subject of a famous poem by Rudyard Kipling.

His body will be found in the beginning of April, and will be buried with military honours on the evening of the same day, the General and all the officers in garrison following it to its last resting-place.
Few young soldiers have gone to an early grave more deeply regretted than the gallant but ill-fated subject of this brief memoir. His life was one of the finest promise, and there are none who knew him who could doubt that that promise would have been fulfilled to the utmost had he lived.
His missing sword will amazingly be found some 15 years later (during the Chitral expedition) in the roof beams of an Afghan hut at Remorah.

Many thanks to Roy Mills for his help and research, and identifying QM King

Quartermaster King

William King was born on January 3rd 1831 at Gloucester. He enlisted in the 10th Light Dragoons in 1852, as a Private. His Regimental number was 1637.
He served in India with the Regiment, and left Bombay on 31st January 1855 for the Crimea.He arrived in Egypt, was collected by the “Jason” (from Balaklava) on March 18th, and arrived in the Crimea on April 14th. Disembarked at Balaklava 15-16th April 1855. He finally left the Crimea on June 2d 1856. He was promoted Serjeant in 1859 ; the regiment was at Hounslow at that time. He was later promoted Regimental Serjeant-Major. He was awarded a LS&GC Medal as RSM on March 13th, 1870. (WO 102/2 p.21). 
He is shown on the 1871 census at Heston Barracks as Regimental Serjeant Major, aged 39, born at Gloucester. His wife Mary, aged 30 born at Coventry and two children William, 7, born Dublin and Mary, 1, born Brighton.
On the 18th October 1872, Quartermaster John James retired, and RSM William King was appointed in his place . He had served in the ranks “20 years 303 days”.
He attended the dinner given by the Prince of Wales at Marlborough-House on December 21st 1872 for the officers of the 10th Hussars, prior to their departure to India. He left with the Regiment on board the Jumna on January 10th, 1873.

He died in England on September 9th 1882 at 5 Hopgood Street, Middlesex. The Memoirs of the Tenth Royal Hussars mention : “On the 9th October [1882], to the regret of all ranks, the sudden death of Quartermaster W. King in England was announced. This officer joined as a private in 1852, and became a sergeant in 1859. He held the appointments of Sergeant-Instructor of Musketry and Regimental Sergeant-Major, and on the retirement of Captain James was appointed Quartermaster on the 2nd November, 1872. This post was held until his death, and he performed most valuable service, both at the time of the embarkation of the regiment for India and on the preparations being made for the Afghan campaign and during the whole of that war. He died on the 12th September 1882. He was succeeded by Quartermaster A. E. Poole.
His will was proved on 15th March 1883: “The will of William King, late of 1 Lansdowne Terrace, Stoney Stanton Road, in the city of Coventry, Quartermaster in Her Majesty’s 10th Hussars who died at 5 Hopgood Street in the County of Middlesex was proved at Birmingham by Mary Hannah King of 1 Lansdowne Terrace, widow, the relict, the sole executrix. Personal estate £542.”
He was entitled to the following medals : Crimean War Medal with clasp “Sebastopol”, Turkish Crimea (as Pte.), Afghanistan Medal “Ali Musjid” (as Qmr), LS&GC (as RSM).

Among those three officers should be Captain Combe and Lieutenant Rose

Boyce Albert Combe (born August 28 1841) had throughout his military career a strong association with India. A former Cadet of the Honourable East India Company Army, he was gazetted a Cornet on August 27 1860, and was among the 21st Hussars in their early days (they were raised in 1862 from the 3rd Bengal European Cavalry). He was promoted to Lieutenant on May 3 1865. He took part in the 1866-67 Abyssinian campaign with the 3rd Sind Horse, and was present as the Orderly Officer to Colonel Fraser at the action of Arogee, and capture of Magdala (Medal). He then joined back the 21st Hussars, where he for some time held the appointment of Adjutant. On October 30 1871 he married  Helen Edith (d. May 29 1892), daughter of Major-General Lousada Barrow, C.B. He was promoted to Captain on Februray 12 1873, and exchanged into the 10th Hussars - by then in India - on October 17 1873.
On March 13 1877 he left Bombay on board the Troopship Jumna for England, reaching Portsmouth on April 14, one day in advance on schedule after a sailing under favourable winds - though the Jumna was delayed when she called at Devonport, due to heavy fog. On June 7 1877, he was presented to his Colonel, the Prince of Wales, on the occasion of the Levée held at St. James's Palace.
Boyce Albert Combe will be awarded a Brevet of Major on November 22 1879. He will be seconded for service on the Staff on February 10 1880 (antedated to November 13 1879), as Deputy Assistant for the Quarter Master General, Bombay. He will be granted a Brevet of Lieutenant-Colonel on March 1 1881 ("in recognition of services during the late Afghan Campaign"),  promoted to Major on July 26 1881, and to Colonel on March 2 1885. He will be appointed Military Secretary to the Commander-in-Chief in India on September 11 1885, and Commanding Officer of the 19th Hussars on February 12 1886. He will be placed on half-pay "on appointment to the staff" on October 23 1888, and will hold the Local and Temporary Rank of Brigadier General from January 9, 1889, whilst commanding the 2nd Class District, Bombay. He will be made a C.B.on May 25 1889, "on the occasion of the celebration of Her Majesty's Birthday". He will be placed on half-pay on expiration of his period of service in this appointment on April 18 1894, then appointed Commandant of the Cavalry Brigade at Aldershott on January 1 1895. He will become Major-General on March 18 1896, and will command the Curragh District in Ireland. He will be appointed a First Class District Commander in India on January 16 1900, and placed on retired pay on September 8 1903. He will be appointed Colonel of the 14th Hussars on July 9 1904,  until his death (in India) on June 3 1920.

Edward Temple Rose was born on November 2 1855, the son of Rt. Hon. Sir John Rose, 1st Bt., and Charlotte Temple. He was gazetted a sub-Lieutenant in the 10th Hussars on June 13 1874.
Lieutenant Rose will find passage home, along with Second Lieutenant Allsopp, on board the Indian Troopship Jumna, leaving Bombay on April 18, 1880, and reaching Portsmouth on May 15. On March 4 1881, Lieutenant Rose, then on leave at home, will board the Balmoral Castle to sail to Durban, there to be attached to the 15th Hussars. When the ship will reach Durban, on March 28 1881, the peace will have been signed with the Boers. He will be seconded for service on the Staff on July 11 1882, and promoted to Captain on August 8 1882. 
He will marry Lady Cecilia Cathcart, daughter of Alan Frederick Cathcart, 3rd Earl Cathcart, on July 26 1883. 
Captain Edward Temple Rose will resign his commission on February 12 1885. 
He will die in 1920.

Veterinary Surgeon Appleton

William Appleton was gazetted Veterinary Surgeon on January 31 1860, and was appointed to the Military Train. He was transferred to the 10th Hussars on January 2 1869.
He left for India with the Regiment on board the troopship Jumna, leaving Portsmouth on January 10, 1873. The Times reported that "Madame Appleton and three children" were also on board. 
He was promoted to Veterinary Surgeon 1st Class on October 4th 1873.

William Appleton will be appointed Inspector Veterinary-Surgeon on August 4th 1885 (dated July 27th)  
On September 30th same year he will leave Portsmouth on board the Indian Troopship Malabar, heading for Bombay.
He will be placed on retired pay on April 12th 1887 (dated April 6th).

Paymaster Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy served in the 52d Light Infantry with the Punjaub Movable Column in the Indian Mutiny in 1857-5. 
He was appointed Paymaster of the 35th (Royal Sussex) Foot on May 8 1867, from the 3d West India Regiment where he held the same appointment. He sailed for Madras from Southampton on September 20 1867 on board the Peninsular and Oriental Company's screw steamship Bangalore (Captain N. Roskell). The Suez Canal was not pierced by then, so the Bangalore's destination was only Suez.
He was granted the Honorary rank of Captain on June 7 1872.
He transferred into the 4th Hussars on October 22 1875.
He transferred to the 10th Hussars on January 30,1877.

He left India for England on board the Serapis (along with Lieutenant Sandes), leaving Bombay on April 21 1882, and reaching Portsmouth on May 18. 
He will be placed on retired pay with the honorary rank of Lieutenant-Colonel on June 10 1882.

Surgeon Major William Cattell

William Cattell (1829-1919) was appointed Assistant-Surgeon on March 28th 1854, and soon thereafter took part in the Crimean War with the 5th Dragoon Guards, being present at the battles of Balaklava, Inkerman, Tchernaya, and Siege of Sebastopol (Medal with three Clasps, Sardinian and Turkish Medal).

He was promoted to Surgeon on July 12th, 1864, and left the 5th Dragoon Guards to be appointed Staff Surgeon at the Cape of Good Hope.
On November 16th 1866, he was appointed to the 20th Foot. The 2d Battalion of the Regiment was in the Cape Colony c. 1867, and shifted to Mauritius in 1870. We do find William Cattell in Mauritius in 1870 with the 2nd Battalion of the 20th Foot indeed. The Battalion will come back to England in 1872, reaching Queenstown on board the Troopship Tamar on January 25th. William Cattell will be appointed from that Regiment to the 10th Hussars on December 10th, 1872. 
He soon left with the Regiment for India, being on board the Jumna on the occasion of her departure from Portsmouth for Bombay on January 10th 1873. The Times reported among the 10th Hussars"Surgeon Callett" (sic), but also "Madame Callett and three children".
He held the relative rank of Lieutenant-Colonel from March 28th 1874.
William Cattell was also a botanist ; he was elected an F.L.S. (Fellow of the Linnaean Society) in 1878, and collected plants along his various postings.

He will be appointed Brigade Surgeon at Aldershott, on November 27th 1879. This appointment is administrative at first, as he will only reach England on April 16th 1880, arriving at Portsmouth on board the Indian Troopship Malabar.
This will not be the end of his travels, as he will be appointed principal medical officer of the forces in Canada in January 1882, following some service at Malta !
On April 18th 1882,he will be gazetted Deputy Surgeon-General (dated 12th March).
Deputy Surgeon-General William Cattell will be placed on retired pay on December 4th 1889 (dated November 23rd).
His memoirs are held within the Royal Army Medical Corps "Muniment Collection".

Lieutenant Greenwood

Charles Staniforth Greenwood was born May 1 1857 at Swarcliffe Hall, Birstwith, Harrogate, the second son of Major John
Greenwood and Louisa Elizabeth Barnardiston. In january 1876 he was declared a successful candidate at the open competition held in December 1875 for First Appointments to Cavalry and Infantry. He was gazetted Sub-Lieutenant in the 10th Hussars on February 12 1877. He was promoted to Lieutenant on March 1 1878.

He will leave Bombay on April 16 1882 on board the Indian Troopship Crocodile, and will reach Portsmouth on the night of May 12 1882. He will be presented at the Levée "on return from active service" by the Adjutant General on June 18 1882.
He will go back to India, and will come back from Egypt on board the Jumna with the Regiment on April 21 1884.
He will thus again be presented at the Levée "on return from active service", by Colonel E.A.Wood, on July 14 1884.
Charles Greenwood will be promoted to Captain on October 3 1884. He will marry Margaret Eleanor Dent in 1885.
He will retire from the service on March 15 1889, receiving a gratuity.

From the Reserve of Officers, he will join the 2nd West York Yeomanry (incidentally another Regiment bearing the title "Prince of Wales's Own") with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel on November 7 1891, "under the provisions of Paragraph 32, Yeomanry Regulations, 1889, as amended by Army Order 298 of 1890". He will be nominated Sheriff in the Queen's Bench Division of the High Court of Justice of Yorkshire in late 1892. The 2nd West York Yeomanry will be disbanded in 1894,and his resignation will be accepted by the Queen on July 17.

He will die on September 24, 1941 at Swarcliffe.

Lieutenant Wilson

Lieutenant Richard Henry Francis Wharton Wilson joined the 10th Hussars from the 4th West York Militia (where he was also a Lieutenant) on July 25 1876.

He will come back from Egypt on board the Jumna with the Regiment on April 21 1884 - and will be promoted to Captain on the next day. He will be presented  by Colonel E.A. Wood to the Prince of Wales (his Colonel) at the Levée held on July 14 1884 at St. James's Palace, "on return from active service".

After being awarded a Brevet of Major on June 15 1885, he will again be presented at the Levée, on July 13 1885 (this time by Major General Harman, C.B.), so it is quite possible he will have been back to Egypt beforehand.

He will be appointed Deputy-Assistant Adjutant-General for August 27 1895, and will retire on retired pay on July 17 1896
He will be appointed from the Reserve of Officers to the Imperial Yeomanry at the outbreak of the Boer War, and will go to South-Africa in the spring of 1900.
He will leave South Africa on May 8 1901 on board the Mongolian, reaching Southampton on June 8, which will be "the occasion for a great demonstration" as the Mongolian will bring "the first complete Yeomanry detachments from South Africa on board".
Temporary Lieutenant-Colonel R.H.F.W. Wilson, Commandant of the 12th Battalion, will rsign his appointment on July 10 1901 . He will be granted the Honorary rank of Lieutenant-Colonel, and permission to wear his Imperial Yeomanry uniform on January 3 1902. A few days later, on January 8, he will be appointed Commandant of the 3rd Provisional Regiment of Hussars. He will be awarded a D.S.O. in the following months.

Thanks to Garren Ewing and Roy Mills for their help